Men's basketball to host final exhibition

The CMU men’s basketball team has one more chance to prepare for its season opener next week.

For their final exhibition game, the Chippewas play Indiana University-South Bend at noon Saturday at Rose Arena.

Coach Ernie Zeigler said, among other things, this game will test his team’s defense after seeing a much improved unit on the floor during its exhibition win Sunday against Marygrove.

“They’re going to be a good challenge for us,” Zeigler said. “Our help-side defense could definitely improve (since Marygrove) ... just really being more aware where the ball is, as a team, and communication.”

He said with so many new players on the team and contributing on the floor, communicating and gaining chemistry as a team are important aspects of the exhibition.

“It’s easy to get caught up in ‘What should I be doing?’ versus, ‘I’m doing what I need to do and I’m communicating with my teammates as well,’” Zeigler said.

Indiana University-South Bend comes into Saturday’s game with a record of 1-1, already into its regular season.

The Titans opened with a 79-75 loss on the road to Purdue North Central, but won their home opener against Goshen College, 80-70.

“It’s going to be a challenge for us because they run a lot of different things offensively,” Zeigler said.

Injury Bug

Junior guard Antonio Weary clutched his left hand during the first half of the Chippewas’ first exhibition game against Marygrove.

It looked as if he jammed his finger but, as a precaution, he was taken out of the game and did not start the second half.

After tests, it was revealed that Weary broke a bone in his left hand and will miss four to six weeks to begin the season.

“You build a relationship with someone over the last two years, especially with Antonio,” said senior guard Robbie Harman. “But anyone else who steps in will do just fine.”

Junior guard Jalin Thomas will get the start for Saturday’s exhibition and, most likely, when the season begins Nov. 14 against Princeton at Rose Arena, Zeigler said.

“I thought in the first exhibition game that he really rebounded well and he’s getting more comfortable offensively,” he said. “So I think he put himself in position to get the first stab at it.”

The team’s regular season opener is Nov. 14 against Princeton in Rose Arena.