SGA sponsoring workshop to outline how to start an RSO

Tom Idema said he believes students interested in starting a registered student organization may be surprised to find it is not difficult.

The assistant director of Student Life will speak from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday in Powers Hall Room 136 on how to start an RSO. The Student Government Association, with help from the Growth and Development Committee, will host the meeting.

“Ideally, we’d like everyone to get involved with something on campus. There is a lot more to college than just staying in your dorm room and studying,” Idema said.

RSOs are one of the best ways for students to get involved on campus, said SGA President and Mount Pleasant senior Jason Nichol.

If you go... What: RSO startup workshop When: 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday Where: Powers Hall Room 136

“This event can help people decide to start up their own and expand Central Michigan University’s collection of RSOs,” he said.

‘Relatively easy’

RSOs are important and beneficial because they can help prepare students for later in life after college, Idema said. They can be good for work experience and team building.

The event coordinators are hoping for a decent turn out, expecting between 80 and 100 people to attend.

“I think people will learn a lot from this program. They will find that it may take some effort and work to start an RSO, but it’s relatively easy,” said SGA Vice President and Garden City senior Brittany Mouzourakis.

An RSO needs an idea and a group of people with a common interest or goal to get started. Idema said students can create almost any type of RSO imaginable with the right following, using the example of an UNO club.

Mouzourakis pointed to one of the newer RSOs, Tom’s Shoes. The group started at the beginning of the year and has grown to about 50 members, proving a small idea can still make a difference.

Idema said the event is geared toward students interested in learning how to start an RSO, not for people looking to join one. He advises students interested in learning more about the RSOs on campus to come to a future event in January, showcasing the numerous RSOs at CMU.