Sports Update: Women's basketball loses at UAB

The CMU women’s basketball team returned from an eight-day hiatus, losing 70-59 to the University of Alabama-Birmingham in the first of two games in Alabama.

CMU (2-6) could not find its rhythm throughout, shooting 27.1 percent from the field, including going 4-of-17 from beyond the 3-point arc for the game.

“We lost the game because we didn’t have anybody that could make a layup,” said coach Sue Guevara, citing the team’s 17 missed layups.

Guevara said the long layoff had nothing to do with the team’s shooting performance.

“It’s more a lack of focus and maybe a fear of getting hit,” she said. “(It’s) like we were in quick sand.”

Junior forward Laura Baker scored a season-high 12 points off the bench, going a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line, and grabbed nine rebounds. Senior guard Kendra Holman also had 12 points to lead the way for the Chippewas.

While Baker’s performance was noted, Guevara said a lack of production from others hurt the team.

Freshman guards Jalisa Olive and Stefanie and Rachel Mauk combined for one point in 30 minutes of playing time.

“We’re just not very consistent at all and we need to get some consistency,” Guevara said.

Junior Kaihla Szunko had 10 points and nine rebounds before fouling out early on in the second half.

The game remained a close, back-and-forth affair for much of the first half as both teams struggled to score.

But a 3-point field goal from UAB freshman guard Amber Jones gave the Blazers a 20-18 lead with 5:51 remaining in the first half and proved to be the turning point as CMU never regained its lead after that. UAB closed the half on a 15-4 run to extend its lead to 32-22 on 40.6 percent shooting from the floor, compared to CMU’s 21.6 field goal percentage.

The Blazers held a double-digit lead for much of the second half on 45 percent shooting.

Guard Jala Harris finished with 20 points while Amber Jones chipped in with 18 points and six rebounds for UAB (4-5).

For the first this season, CMU beat its opponent on the glass, out rebounding UAB 45-40.

The team travels to Huntsville, Ala., for its second game in as many days at 8 p.m. Tuesday against Alabama A&M.