Women's basketball loses to Longhorns

A strong second half from the CMU women’s basketball team kept things close with the No. 17 Texas Longhorns, but in the end it was not enough.

Freshman Jalisa Olive scored a career high 22 points coming off of the bench but the Chippewas lost 94-83. Fellow freshman Stefanie Mauk added 11 points and senior Britni Houghton had 12 points and eight rebounds.

“She (Olive) played with a lot of confidence and defensively she was a big presence,” said head coach Sue Guevara. “We have been waiting for the freshmen to have a game like this and we need this kind of effort more consistently.”

The Chippewas got off to a slow start in the first half only shooting 36 percent from the field and were outscored 52-37.

But the team battled back in the second half outscoring the Longhorns 46-42 and hit 54% of their shots.

“We never stopped fighting, we really battled and they really just went inside on us late and overpowered us,” said Guevara.

The Chippewas got 45 points from their bench compared to just 22 for the Longhorns and head coach Sue Guevara said they play games like this to get ready for the Mid-American Conference schedule.

After finishing the Miami Holiday Tournament down in Florida Tuesday night, the Chippewas will head back north to take on Eastern Michigan in their first MAC game of the season Wednesday, January 6th.

“We are looking for a positive and productive performance in every game we play,” said Guevara when asked about preparation for the MAC schedule.

Texas was the third top 25 team that the Chippewas have faced this year.