University could connect better with students by developing cell phone applications

Since the advent of the smartphone 17 years ago — IBM’s Simon was the first — the capabilities of these devices have evolved at an alarmingly fast rate.

The Simon, for instance, was a mobile phone and had a world clock, calendar, e-mail and games.

Whereas, my smartphone allows me to make calls, text message, check the Associated Press and tweet.

It has a lightsaber, too, just in case the Sith return.

But there is one thing my phone cannot do easily — access Central Michigan’s Portal.

To access the Portal, I must first open my browser, go to CMU’s Web site, click the Portal link and then log in.

But utilizing the Portal’s features is a tedious affair because I am forced to use the browser.

A smartphone application would make the process not only easier, but faster.

For years, Central Michigan University has prided itself on being on top of technological trends and, for the most part, has supplied students with the best possible technology.

However, CMU has dropped the ball on students with smartphones. According to CNET.com, smartphones made up 16 percent of all cell phones in 2009.

That number is predicted to rise to 37 percent by 2014.

Assuming 90 percent of all CMU undergraduate students (18,522) own a cell phone, that means, currently, there are around 2,960 students who own smartphones, if not more.

CMU should take heed of the smartphone’s growing popularity and join the ranks of University of Nebraska, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Texas, Stanford and others by offering an application for smartphone users to download.

Though most applications for smartphones are written for the iPhone, the university should not exclude those who prefer Android or BlackBerry phones and create an application for all three major smartphones.

A Portal application would be extremely beneficial to those who could take advantage of it.

It would allow students to stay up-to-date on a myriad of things, being able to check Blackboard (which already has an iPhone and BlackBerry app), their financial aid status, class schedule, student e-mail, campus events, CMU sports scores and more.

It also would be a great way for the university to keep students informed about what is going on within the administration and the campus in general.

An application also could help students when they have issues with something because their student e-mail will be at their fingertips.

If they have a question, they will be able to e-mail a professor or fellow classmate.

There are countless benefits to a Portal application, but one benefit people often overlook is that creating the app might actually encourage students to become more academic, because they will have their grades in their pocket — literally.

If I had the ability to check my grades, school finances or class schedule, I would regularly check it.

And other students would do the same.