Internet can make long-distance relationships possible

I have a unique viewpoint on long-distance relationships.

My longest, best, most romantic and most important relationship was two-and-a-half years long; it was long-distance for its entirety.

I would not be the person I am without him, and I am very thankful for it.

This does not mean long-distance relationships work for everyone.

The decision to begin and uphold a long-distance relationship rests with the couple, instead of just the circumstances.

“Dave” and I met our freshman year when I attended another university. We began dating after I transferred to Central Michigan University.

We entered into the relationship with the knowledge we would not live in the same city until at least graduation.

We created a schedule for visits. We chose times both of us were available to talk on the phone. We utilized social-networking Web sites when we were unable to talk.

LongDistanceRelationships.com says the average long-distance relationship is 125 miles away from each other, visits one-and-a-half times per month and talks for 30 minutes on the phone on average.

Two brilliant (and free) ways to keep in touch is through iChat and Skype. My friend in a long-distance relationship uses this. I love coming over when the two of them are iChatting away (it is adorable).

The toughest part about a long-distance relationship is the lack of intimacy. You are definitely more tempted to stray when your partner is halfway across the universe.

In some cases, this penchant to stray may be a sign you are not ready for this commitment.

As a word of wisdom, smaller things in life seem bigger to those in long-distance relationships. Silly holidays, such as “Sweetest Day,” take on a larger meaning.

My advice is to remember these silly holidays and celebrate them as a couple, wherever you are. Send flowers or even a text message.

Small gestures are very large gestures when a couple lives very far away from each other.

Once, “Dave” drove three hours to bring me flowers. It was sweet.

Personally, I have a lot of faith in long-distance relationships, even though they are difficult.

Our break up had more to it than just distance. After two-plus years, we became very different people. Our schedules fell apart, and so did we.

I won’t lie and say I don’t miss him. Even writing this, I am playing bad break-up songs (it is a little embarrassing; I live with all guys).

If I had to go through it again, however, I would in a heartbeat.

If you are in a committed relationship facing the possibility of dating long-distance, my advice is to give it a shot.

Take the plunge head-on, prepare yourself for frustration and look forward to the time you spend together, whether it be in-person or in another form.