Dodridge gets much-needed run support this time around

This time, the run support came through for the CMU baseball team.

After taking the loss against Stetson on March 10 by giving up one run through eight innings, CMU sophomore left-hander Rick Dodridge got his first win of the season Tuesday in the team’s 11-5 win against Davenport University.

Dodridge allowed two earned runs on three hits in six innings pitched in the team’s home opener in front of 325 fans at Theunissen Stadium.

“I came out today and was aggressive,” Dodridge said. “I had bases loaded a couple times, and I just worked out of it. I made my pitches where they needed to (be).”

Dodridge, who went 3-4 with a 6.58 ERA in 13 appearances, ran into a first-inning jam after a throwing error, hit batter and single loaded the bases for Davenport. However, he was able to strike out Panthers left fielder Brian Spykerman to end the inning without giving up a run.

After striking out a batter to start the third inning, walks and errors allowed two Davenport runs to score following a double to left-center field by catcher Austin Licon. But that was the only real threat the Panthers had as Dodridge allowed no hits and retired consecutive batters in the second, fourth and sixth innings.

CMU’s 11 runs were tied for the most scored by the team this season, making things a little easier for Dodridge to earn the win.

“I thought I threw really well today,” Dodridge said. “It’s always nice to get run support. If you’re a pitcher, you love it. It’s just easier on us and (makes us) more laid back.”

An elevated pitch count forced CMU coach Steve Jaksa to pull Dodridge for sophomore Mike Nixon.

“I thought he was in the zone pretty good and did a nice job for us,” Jaksa said. “Once we got up to his pitch count, then it was time for him to come out.”