Softball enters home opener already matching '09 win total

The CMU softball team enters its home opener already matching last season’s win total.

At 12-7, the Chippewas host Oakland in a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. today at Margo Jonker Stadium.

CMU has won 10 of its last 11 games, including two shutout victories in a doubleheader last Wednesday against Detroit Mercy.

Pitching and defense have stood out for CMU during the winning streak, as the team has given up up just seven runs in the last five games.

Coach Margo Jonker said the team needs to work on all units playing at a high level together, rather than relying on one facet at at time.

“It’s a combination of everything coming together — that’s been the key this year,” she said. “If we score a lot of runs, the defense relaxes more. If pitching and defense do a good job, the people in the batters box relax more. It all has to come together.”

But in last week’s doubleheader against Detroit, CMU’s pitching performance overwhelmed Detroit-Mercy.

Freshman Kara Dornbos, redshirt freshman Sarah Patterson and sophomore Courtney King combined to give up three hits, helping the pitching staff lower its team earned-run average to 2.48 through the first 19 games.

OAKLAND

The Golden Grizzlies are in a transitional state.

Coach Glenn MacDonald retired midseason Monday after more than four seasons at the helm. MacDonald finished his career as the winningest coach in OU history, leading the program to two NCAA Tournament appearances.

Jonker said she does not know what to expect from the Golden Grizzlies with a new coaching staff. She said she is not sure how their team will react, but accountability still lies on CMU.

“We need to be on top of our game like we were against Detroit,” she said. “Every team is a challenge for us.”

Jonker said CMU softball has a strong, dedicated following, and the home atmosphere will energize her team.

“Just being able to play in front of our own followers will be awesome,” she said. “Playing in the comfort of our own field that we practice on is great.”

The nightcap will start shortly after the conclusion of the first game.