Softball splits weekend's four games

The CMU softball team wrapped up its weekend of conference play Sunday with an 8-4 loss to Miami (OH) to return .500 in the Mid-American Conference.

Sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren put Central (17-12, 4-4 MAC) on the board first in the top of the second inning with a solo home run, her team-leading eighth of the season. With the home run, Coldren tied Elizabeth Barnes’ single-season school record with at least 16 games remaining.

“I have a lot more confidence in my swing and myself as a player this season,” Coldren said. “The coaches know I can hit, and their confidence in me has helped me too.”

Miami (19-16, 4-2 MAC) took control quickly after, adding two runs in both the second and third innings, and another three in the fourth and one in the fifth, taking an 8-2 lead.

Despite both teams posting nine hits, Central was unable to translate its hits into runs, ending consecutive innings in the second and third with a runner in scoring position.

The team attempted to rally in the sixth inning behind a two-run homer by senior first baseman Jill Schulz, her second of the season. She finished 2-for-3 on the day, leading the team with 36 hits on the season.

Miami pitcher Jessica Simpson snapped any comeback hopes, retiring the next five batters to close out the game.

Freshman Kara Dorbos (7-3) started the game for CMU and gave up three runs on four hits before being pulled after two innings. Junior Kari Seddon’s relief effort allowed four runs on two hits and three walks on 1 and 1/3 innings. Redshirt freshman Sarah Patterson finished the game, allowing one run on three hits.

With a close race in the MAC West, coach Margo Jonker said she anticipates the conference will come down to the last weekend.

“The team who keeps competing and keeps fighting down to the last games will win it in the end,” she said. “We just need to keep winning games.”

THE WEEKEND

The team started the weekend Friday with a series against defending MAC champion Ball State. It lost the opener 12-8 before winning 11-3 in the second game of the doubleheader to split the season series.

Continuing into the weekend, the Chippewas shut out Miami 1-0 Saturday. Seddon pitched a complete game, allowing one hit and striking out seven.

Schulz, who finished with nine hits and five runs batted in, led the CMU offense this weekend. She has 22 hits in her eleven-game hitting streak.

The team takes a break from conference play Wednesday in Ann Arbor as it takes on No. 2 Michigan (30-5, 7-0 Big Ten).

Jonker said the team does not need to change its play in the game against the Wolverines.

“We just have to do what we do every day. We need help from all parts of our game and to be strong,” she said. “They’ve been good this year, but all we have to do is pitch so they can’t get good swings on the ball and then put runs on the board.”