Students should stand up and be heard on important topics

It is difficult to rally student support for truly meaningful causes at Central Michigan University.

Take, for instance, a Facebook group that sent out messages last week, stating the group would protest the final United Apartments leasing party last Wednesday at O’Kellys Bar and Grill, 2000 S. Mission St. The group, “United Apartments Accommodating Landlord or Unruly Tyrant?” claims United Apartments does not treat its tenants fairly.

Well, that “protest” didn’t happen. The morning before, a member of the group canceled the protest. His reason? He didn’t want to affect business at O’Kellys.

In other words, alcohol took precedence over an issue that students seemed to care deeply about.

That is just one example of student apathy across campus.

CMU has changed drastically in the four years I’ve been here. A medical college was started. Tuition has gone up more than 25 percent. Buildings are popping up everywhere across campus.

This is a pivotal time at CMU. Things are changing, and changing fast. Students need to step up and defend themselves against unnecessary tuition increases and the stripping of services.

No matter what anyone says, if students revolt, the administration will listen.

Look at the changes to tailgate. Students refused to attend the CMU-sponsored tailgate in Lot 63 at the beginning of football season because of the changes, and the administration listened, or at least they gave students back their external sound systems, which was a start.

Now is the time to stand up and be heard. The recommended budget cuts haven’t been discussed much publicly. There’s still time for students to have their say.

Just ask those involved with the Leadership Institute, which University President George Ross said will retain its funding. Why did that happen? Because students stood up and told CMU “do not cut this.”

Write a letter to Ross and tell him how you feel. His e-mail is president@cmich.edu.

Unless that beer tells you not to.