Emmett's walk-off single completes comeback win against Broncos

Many of the 387 in attendance at Theunissen Stadium Saturday did not hesitate to express their grievances toward home plate umpire Michael Schultz all game.

With a 3-1 count in the bottom of the ninth inning, fans let Schultz hear it following a called strike to Brendan Emmett.

The mood would change a pitch later as Emmett ripped a single up the middle to score Robbie Harman, breaking a tie and giving the Central Michigan baseball team a 4-3 win against Western Michigan.

"I got deep in the count and was looking fastball," said Emmett, who finished the game 2-for-3. "He actually threw me a split-finger – it kind of fooled me a bit – but I was able to keep my hands back and poked it pretty good."

CMU (29-19, 16-7 Mid-American Conference) remains in the spot it began the day, a game behind West Division and conference leader Ball State, after the Cardinals beat Northern Illinois 8-2.

Toledo, at 30-19 and 16-7 in the MAC, also remains tied with the Chippewas after defeating Eastern Michigan 5-2.

"It’s a big win," Emmett said. "This time of the year, everything’s a must-win you only got four conference games left. There are a lot of teams vying for the top and we have to keep pace."

A situation it has become all too familiar with this season, CMU had rally late to get the win after falling behind 3-1 in the fifth inning. The Chippewas led off the sixth with a double from sophomore Nate Theunissen and single by senior Dale Cornstubble (2-for-3) to set up a first and third situation.

The next batter, senior Billy Anderson, hit into a 6-4-3 double play. While probably not the most ideal result, it scored a run and brought the Chippewas within one.

"It just became a battle," said coach Steve Jaksa. "We got (runners on) first and third and had to get the second runner in."

Senior Ricky Clark would draw a leadoff walk in the seventh. Following a sacrifice bunt by Harman, Matt Faiman groundout and Emmett walk, senior James Teas knocked a single up the middle to tie the game at 3.

"We have to be able to pitch and play defense and come from behind sometimes," Jaksa said. "Every club has got to learn how to win, and we have learned how to win. Today we gave ourselves a chance by keeping the game in check."

CMU took a 1-0 lead in the first inning after Emmett scored on an RBI single by Teas (2-for-4, two RBIs).

The Broncos would take the lead in the third on back-to-back doubles by Grant Simotes (2-for-4, two RBIs) and Chris Lewis.

After getting runners on base in the third and fifth innings, inning-ending double plays stifled any attempt at scoring for the Chippewas. CMU also left two runners on base in the fourth after getting a pair of singles to start the inning.

"(In) all of those double play balls, the guys were hitting the ball hard, and that’s all you can do," Emmett said.

Sophomore Scott Phillion and junior Matt Faiman each added a hit for the Chippewas.

Freshman left-hander Dietrich Enns notched his sixth win of the season after throwing three innings of shutout ball in relief. Junior starter Bryce Morrow allowed two earned runs on seven hits in six innings, while striking out five.

"We were able to pitch so well," Jaksa said. "Enns came in after Bryce and just shut the door."

Relief pitcher Troy Forton (1-5) took the loss for WMU (12-37, 5-18 MAC).

CMU looks to complete a sweep when both teams play the series finale at 1:05 p.m. Sunday.