Presidential Prowess: SGA President Brittany Mouzourakis reminisces about Greek upbringing, coming to CMU

bmou
Garden City senior and Student Group Association President Brittany Mouzourakis looks forward to beginning a pro-bono legal clinic at Central Michigan University where students will be able to seek free legal advice. Outside of her presidential role, Mouzourakis, a fan of Lady Gaga, recently attended one of her concerts. “She’s just a real artist,” Mouzourakis said. Mouzourakis, who is Greek, holds symbols of the evil eye, which, according to Greek legend, help ward away envious individuals who can bring sickness. (Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer)

It takes a lot to lead the Student Government Association — dedication, timeliness, diplomacy — and in Brittany Mouzourakis’ case, a pair of black stiletto “power heels.”

Mouzourakis, a Garden City senior, is serving as SGA president this academic year. Although she is majoring in international business, Mouzourakis said she was naturally drawn to politics.

“When I came to Central Michigan University, I knew I wanted to continue getting involved in student government,” Mouzourakis said. “I like politics and helping people. I really want to make a difference on campus.”

Dave Breed, Muskegon senior and vice president of SGA, said the plan to run for office began when the pair met their freshman year. Breed said Mouzourakis’ drive and ambition makes her the perfect person for the presidency — that, and the energy boost she receives from her love of coffee.

“She’s completely obsessed with coffee, she’ll literally drink six to seven cups a day,” Breed said. “Ever since I’ve known her, she’s been drinking coffee.”

Both of Mouzourakis’s parents are Greek immigrants, making her and her two older sisters first generation American.

Growing up in a house where the main language was Greek, Mouzourakis said her upbringing was very similar to the film “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”

In addition to Greek, Mouzourakis has studied Japanese for seven years. She has travelled to Japan twice, once at age 16 and again when she studied abroad during the summer of 2008.

And while Mouzourakis has made the most of her CMU experience, she said she almost never even came.

‘What you see is what you get’

Mouzourakis had always planned to go to the University of Michigan and had in fact been accepted, but once she received the Leader Advancement Scholarship from CMU, her career choice became solidified.

“The opportunities that you have at CMU are much greater than at a big institution,” she said. “I feel like I’ve taken advantage of all the opportunities, and maybe I wouldn’t have at a bigger, more overwhelming school.”

It was through LAS that Mouzourakis met her roommate of three years, Alecia Smith. The Pinconning senior said she and Mouzourakis hit it off from the start and her fierce loyalty and sense of humor is what made the friendship last.

“I think at meetings a lot of times she puts on a serious, more professional front, but she’s hilarious,” Smith said. “If you spend more than an hour with her out of a professional setting then she’ll have you laughing. What you see is what you get with her.”

After graduation in the spring, Mouzourakis said she plans to go to law school to become an environmental lawyer, in order to give representation to the animals that can’t hire a lawyer for themselves. Mouzourakis is also a vegetarian and said she would definitely describe herself as an environmentalist.

In the little spare time she has, Mouzourakis said she enjoys reading, watching political television and doing yoga, preferably to the music of Lady Gaga.

Mouzourakis attended her first Lady Gaga concert Sept. 4 adorned in fake eyelashes, red lip stick and a bow in her hair.

“I may be the biggest Lady Gaga fan you have ever met, I am 100 percent a Little Monster,” Mouzourakis said. “The concert was absolutely amazing. Her performance of Paparazzi was my favorite, it was very artsy and visually cool.”

And although her life is hectic, she said wouldn’t want it any other way.