Field hockey loses home game against New Hampshire, 4-1

New Hampshire's field hockey team found junior goalkeeper Anastasia Netto’s Achilles heel Sunday in its 4-1 defeat against Central Michigan.

Three of the four shots that made it into the back of the CMU cage were chip shots, rising just over Netto's head.

"Obviously somebody is seeing something and scouting reports are seeing something," said CMU head coach Cristy Freese. "I know she's not that tall, but I always tell the kids everybody's got knees and they bend, so we'll just have to work on that."

Following a string of penalty corners, UNH back Kyle Lyons received a penalty stroke in the 24th minute and capitalized, sending the ball into the upper right corner and scoring the lone goal of the first half.

The Wildcats carried their momentum into the second half, when forward Whitney Frates added her fourth tally of the season. With her back to the net, Frates spun around, sending a backhander past Netto.

CMU (2-5) looked like it might recreate a previous home game, where the team came out on top against Providence late in the contest after trailing two goals.

Sophomore Erin Dye caught a cross from freshman Bailey McKeon in the 42nd minute, and redirected it into the net to close UNH's lead to one goal.

"It was good to finally get one in," Dye said. "I don't usually play forward, I'm usually back in the midfield, but about two minutes before that Brittany came in and pushed me up."

A chip shot off the stick of Kara Connolly soared over Netto's head in the 49th minute to add comfort to the Wildcats' lead, and Frates' second goal of the game locked up the win in the 61st minute.

"We talked (in the locker room) about how our midfield has to play a little better," Freese said. "We over commit. We try really hard to get the ball and sometimes we have to try to be a little smarter."

Freshman Carissa Flocken came in to relieve Netto following the fourth goal.

"I don't think it's good for our team to just go back and forth," Freese said about the starting goaltender position.

That being said, Freese said Netto will be back in net at noon Sunday when the team hosts Iowa at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

"I think the game was definitely a positive, even though we lost," Dye said. "We're going to have play better defense (tomorrow), especially in the midfield, and also were lacking in scoring, so we need to just get a couple into the back of the net."

Junior Brooke Sihota's status for the game is unknown after taking a shot above the eye in the closing minutes of Saturday's game.

"I have a feeling she'll be lucky if her eye's open tomorrow, but we'll see if she's ready to go," Freese said.