Field hockey shut out again, loses 3-0 at Ohio

The Central Michigan field hockey team continued its offensive struggles Saturday, losing 3-0 against Ohio at Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio.

CMU (4-11, 2-5) recorded its lone shot of the game in the last minute of play, as the team was shut out for the sixth time this season.

“Our group struggled on offense, but that’s not a new story,” said head coach Cristy Freese.

Ohio scored its first goal in the eighth minute, when sophomore Taylor Brown capitalized on the team’s first penalty corner of the game. Brown’s goal was her second against CMU this season and 13th on the year.

Junior Brooke Edwards scored goals number two and three for the Bobcats, nine minutes apart in the first half. Senior Paige Herr recorded two assists in the half and Jenna Green, Katherine Ballard and Louzeth Schutte each picked up one apiece.

Going into the half, Freese emphasized increased toughness to the team.

“The team needed to play a lot tougher and more together,” she said. “We made some adjustments, but I think a tough part is we’re still without a couple starters.”

The Chippewas were without juniors Paulina Lee and Brooke Sihota, moving freshmen Juliana Makrinos and Skylar VanNatta into the starting lineup.

One major halftime adjustment was moving sophomore Brittany Burga to center back and putting Kim Sihota at center midfielder.

“I think we’re going to start that way tomorrow to see if (Sihota) can help the younger players around her generate some offense,” Freese said. “She’s a good passer and has a good awareness of the game.“

The Chippewas look to split their season series with Kent State at 1 p.m. Sunday. They lost the last meeting 2-0 despite a nine-save performance by junior goaltender Anastasia Netto.