Fairy tales take new shape on stage this weekend with “Into the Woods” performances starting today

jms_intothewoods_02
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Nashville freshman Adam Zank performs as Jack Monday evening during a rehearsal of Into the Woods at Bush Theater. The performance opens Wednesday evening and runs through Sunday afternoon.

What do you get when you combine some of the best fairytale stories, actors and a stage?

A musical explosion.

On Wednesday, University Theatre will present “Into the Woods,” a play containing parts of Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

Assistant Theatre Professor Anne Thornton will direct the musical, originally based off the novel by James Lapine and music from Stephen Sondheim. She said audience members will see familiar characters and stories intertwined.

If you go... What: “Into the Woods” Where: Bush Theatre When: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2 p.m. Sunday How to get tickets: $7 for students at $9 for the general public
“Each character must travel into the woods to find something to get their wish,” Thornton said. “There’s no deep psychological reason, they just go.”

“Into the Woods” will be showing at 7:30 p.m. today through Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday in Bush Theatre. Tickets can be purchased from the box office for $7 for students at $9 for the general public.

Thornton said Act I will show life in a fairy tale where Act II will reveal reality. Twists in plot should be expected, she said.

Zac Nelson said he plans on attending the opening night performance.

“I am really looking forward to see how the stories adapt in the musical and go beyond the happily ever after,” the Freeland senior said.

Thornton said the artistry of the students was tested both musically and physically with this play. A new flavor of emotion has been attempted with the approach of this show — rasa.

Rasa is a new innovated type of performing concept compared to Shakespeare theatre, she said. It embodies theatrical archetypes and shows a constant change in emotions to provide actors with strong on-stage reaction.

Thornton said performers must always stay engaged in their scenes and character development.

Bryan Chapman, a Garden City freshman, said he loves to attend plays and is excited to see “Into the Woods.”

“I look forward to experiencing the thrill of the characters searching and ultimately discovering who they are,” Chapman said.