El-Sawi's severance package consistent with 'normal' resignation standards

Support for the College of Medicine remains mixed since campus learned of Dr. Nehad El-Sawi's severance package in February.

El-Sawi's resignation as the college's associate dean of Medical Education and Faculty Development was effective January 28. She received six months' pay and various benefits as part of her resignation contract and her total compensation for six months of employment totaled $238,000.

Sarah Opperman, board of trustees chairwoman, said severance packages are “normal” in response to the package given El-Sawi in January. Following the Feb. 17 board meeting, she said losing employees is unfortunate in any situation — either in business or at a public university.

“Severance packages are very normal, especially for senior executives,” Opperman said. “It’s unfortunate when it happens, but it’s also how you get the quality of people you need."

John Keeley, an Allen Park sophomore, said he disagrees with the compensation given to El-Sawi considering the amount of time she was employed, but supports the College of Medicine.

“(The College of Medicine) is a good idea, I’m glad its coming,” he said. “I’m disappointed it’s delayed. They should have planned it out better.”

Spencer Austin, a Lansing sophomore and theater major, said he is disappointed with the severance package.

“She is getting a huge severance package and there is no money going to my program,” Austin said. “In the long run, I’m getting screwed.”

Austin also said the development of the College of Medicine was a way to “hike up tuition.”

“There’s enough. Michigan State, the University of Michigan — why do we need one?” he said.

Two finalists to replace El-Sawi were announced on April 5. Thomas Masterson, associate dean of the College of Health Professions and search committee co-chair, reportedly said the committee will probably make a decision to hire either candidate Dr. Joel Lanphear or candidate Dr. Linda Perkowski the first week of May.

Opperman said severance packages are ongoing, human-resource costs for running a university or a corporation.

During the meeting, University President George Ross said the severance agreement was part of university policy.

“Dr. El-Sawi was a senior officer; we have roughly 40 senior officers ... all entitled to six months pay by policy,” Ross said. “That's the nature of the business world and how it's done."

Opperman said the rationale for severance at the senior level includes looking for another job, which can be difficult at the executive level.

“There aren't a lot of (senior administrative jobs) around sometimes,” Opperman said. “The severance packages are in part put together to be a bridge for those individuals if they leave for some reason.”

Ross said the university tries to create a workplace conducive to employee retention.