CM Life gymnastic athlete of the year: Andrea de la Garza

pf_sportrait_07-copy
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer

Andrea de la Garza

All-around gymnast Andrea de la Garza made her impact on the squad quickly upon arriving on campus. She won the all-around competition in the Mid-American Conference championships (39.125), de la Garza, would be CMU’s top scorer in 21 events throughout the year. Her efforts would win her both the Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year and first-team All-MAC award.

The senior would follow suit in 2009, where she recorded a 9.8 or higher seven times and a 9.7 or higher 25 times on the year. During 2010 de la Garza saw a return to the first team All-MAC group after she tied for first in the floor exercise (9.850) at the MAC championships.

Finishing again on the podium in her final season, de la Garza posted two second-place finishes (beam and bars) in the MAC championships — winning both the second team All-MAC award and the MAC Gymnast of the Week award in 2011.

Honorable Mention: Kristin Teubner

Junior Kristin Teubner was an equal contributor with de la Garza on the team.

Beginning her career in 2009, she won the MAC Freshman of the Year award after she won the MAC title in the floor exercise (9.850). In 2010 Teubner competed in every meet and she scored a 9.800 or higher 20 times.

Teubner was awarded the MAC Specialist of the Week award as well as the Academic All-MAC team after finishing the year with 3.7 GPA.

Honor Mention: Brittney Petzold

Winning freshman of the year seems to be a stepping stone for future success with the CMU gymnastics team.

Petzold posted a 9.850 to win the bars in the MAC Championship. Also finishing No. 3 in the all-around category with a season high 39.250. Petzold would go on to score a 9.7 or higher 39 times over the year.