Fans disappointed by cancelation of comedian Nick Swardon's Saturday show

About 2,000 fans planning to see stand-up comedian Nick Swardson perform may have to wait longer than expected.

Because of a contract deal with Comedy Central, Swardson’s Saturday performance in McGuirk Arena has been canceled, said Steve Lewis, Program Board president.

“I was shocked when I first heard about it, but now I understand that he got the TV contract that he wanted,” said Lewis, an Allegan senior. “That’s good for him but we want to give the best possible outcome from this for CMU’s students.”

There is still a possibility for the show to be rescheduled, he said, if not this semester then possibly at the beginning of fall.

“If we can’t get him we would want to get someone even bigger, possibly Louis Black or guys from College Humor,” Lewis said.

Swardson was originally booked because of the interest expressed by his fan base on campus.

“Students voted on a poll on Facebook and the Program Board and he was the overwhelming favorite,” Lewis said.

The cancellation came as disappointing news to Shelby Township freshman Joe Wirth, who purchased his ticket in March.

“I was upset when I found out it was canceled because I have never been to a comedy show and I was excited to see him perform,” Wirth said.

Wirth planned on going with his friend, Shelby Township freshman Dylan Valko.

“I was kind of (angry) when I found out, but since we are getting refunds it’s not that big of a deal,” Valko said.

Both Wirth and Valko plan to repurchase tickets if the Swardson performance is rescheduled.

Troy freshman Lindsey Siroonian said she was glad she narrowly missed buying a ticket.

“I went to the box office last week to buy a ticket, but they were closed,” Siroonian said. “I guess that ended up being a good thing so now I don’t have to go and get a refund.”

Tickets, which cost $8 to $15 depending on the seat, will be refunded starting Apr. 12 at Ticket Central in the Events Center. Students will need their ticket and student ID to receive a full refund.