New College of Medicine professor to make $150,000 annually

Dr. W. Robert Fleischmann is making $150,000 annually as a member of the College of Medicine’s faculty.

Fleischmann was hired May 24 on a 12-month contract, according to documents obtained using the Freedom of Information Act. He began work July 1.

Fleischmann was most recently a faculty member at the University of Minnesota Medical School. Associate deans Dr. Linda Perkowski, his wife, and Dr. Joel Lanphear were also hired at about the same time. Their specific information was not included in the university’s initial response to the FOIA request.

Fleischmann will be given $5,000 in personal moving costs, and any “reasonable and necessary” expenses to relocate his UMN laboratory equipment.

Fifty percent of his time will be spent teaching, but if CMED adheres to its current publicized schedule, no students will arrive on campus until July 2013.

He will also be awarded $75,000 annually to conduct research for three years, totalling $225,000 for three years. After the third year, he will be responsible for funding his own research through external fundraising.

He is pursuing research in cancer immunology, which he is continuing from his previous position at UMN. He will also be required to mentor associate and assistant professors and supervise his research staff, and is responsible for some curriculum development.

The university is pursuing a bargaining agreement that would exclude CMED faculty from the Faculty Association; consequently, his offer letter from Provost Gary Shapiro does not include information on salary increases.

“As (CMED) continues to establish its organizational structure and processes, it intends to implement a salary structure that will allow for variable compensation, beyond the base salary, for meeting certain productivity goals,” Shapiro wrote. “Future salary adjustments may fall under this plan, once established.”

Fleischmann and all CMED faculty and staff will undergo annual performance reviews.

Fleischmann will be given research space in the Health Professions building, but Shapiro wrote “space available to the entire research enterprise of (CMED) is in short supply.”