Greek step show attracts about 150 students Monday

A crowd of about 150 students gathered in front of the Towers residence halls late Monday night to watch a Greek step show.

The fraternities and sororities of the National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted the yard show at Central Michigan University.

Alpha Phi Alpha began the step show wearing their fraternity colors of black and gold and yelling their chants. As they stepped, the crowd cheered for their precise and enthusiastic routine.

In between their steps, they discussed some of their upcoming events such as the Mrs. Black & Gold Pageant, and acted out brief skits about their fraternity and what they believe makes it the best.

The only sorority that was present at the event was Delta Sigma Theta, which had two members dressed in cargo pants and t-shirts who performed various steps while chanting information about their founding and purpose, imitating the fraternities and down-playing the other sororities.

“I was really excited about the yard show because as Deltas, we do so many education programs that people see. Its good to let the campus see our more fun side,” said Quentrese Cole, sorority member and Flint senior. “Stepping is a way for people to see our history and understand more about us."

Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta are two fraternities that also performed at the yard show. Each of them performed their own unique step, which included singing and the use of canes.

“It was a very nice step show. I enjoyed watching the fraternities and sororities step and give out information about their events," said Dearborn sophomore DaShanae' Dozier. "It's nice to see all of them working together as one."

The yard show ended with all four groups chanting and stepping at the same time.