Greek Week brings together the community to raise money for Logan MacGregor

This week kicks off the annual Greek Week when fraternities and sororities unite for a week full of events and to raise money for charity.

This year, proceeds will be donated to help local 13-year-old leukemia patient Logan MacGregor.

“We wanted to directly impact someone here locally on Central’s campus,” said Jesse Pifko, Interfraternity Council vice president of public relations. “We found out about Logan’s diagnosis, and we really didn’t think there was any better way we could make a direct impact than by choosing him.”

Pifko said a total of 11 sororities and eight fraternities are participating this year, as Delta Chi was recently suspended.

“Greek Week is a time (when) all social fraternities and sororities at CMU are paired together into teams of 2 or 3 to compete,” said Rockwood sophomore Jeremy Osborne of Pi Kappa Phi.

These teams are then awarded points for attendance, how well they do and the amount of money raised through penny wars.

To start the week, speaker Lori Hart will give a presentation in Warriner Hall's Platcha Auditorium on Monday.

“Lori Hart talks a lot about the dynamics of fraternities and societies,” said Pifko, a Warren junior. “Also, she talks a lot about recruitment. In general, she just has a positive outlook on life and was Greek before, so she knows how to positively promote Greeks while maintaining a good image.”

Tuesday features Academic Games in Plachta Auditorium, Wednesday are the Athletic Games in McGuirk Arena and Greek Week finishes out with Mock Rock on Friday, also in McGuirk Arena.

“Academic games is a family feud-style game called ‘Words with Greeks,’” Osborne said. “The athletic games are similar to minute-to-win-it-style and with five different games.”

Gladstone freshman Katie Thompson said she is really excited for her first Greek Week.

“I’m a little nervous, because of the no sleep factor, but it’s really good because we’re raising money for a good cause,” said the Alpha Sigma Alpha sister. “I know a lot of girls are trying to get as much homework as they can (done) this week to prepare and it’s hard because it’s the end of the semester.”

Pifko said Greek Week is a good opportunity for all Greeks to come together and raise money for a common philanthropy.

“We’re hoping to continue our tradition of Greek Week, to promote Greek unity and also hoping that Logan will make the best of money raised for him and that it will help him out a lot,” he said. “Because in the end, it’s really about him and giving back to the Mount Pleasant community.”

Those active on Twitter can join in on the conversation and keep up with Greek Week activities by using #GreekWeek2012.