Holly Anderson, Alex Rose among track and field athletes gunning for NCAAs

rosetrack

The eight remaining members of the Central Michigan track and field team will compete in the NCAA East Region Preliminary Rounds at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville, Fla., on Thursday.

CMU is sending three from the women’s team and five from the men’s.

Athletes competing include Alex Rose, Ryan McCullough, Kevin Mays, Branden Post, Josh Kettlewell, Milica Kulidzan, Holly Anderson and Bridget Doughty.

Director of track and field Willie Randolph said he is proud of his athletes for making it to the preliminary round.

“We are excited for the opportunity for these kids,” Randolph said. “They will be competing with some of the best in the country and that’s always the overall goal. Depending on what school they’re from some, of these athletes will be representing their country in the Olympics.”

After breaking school records this season, senior Holly Anderson is looking to go out on top. She is ranked as CMU’s top runner and has enjoyed the success of her season so far.

“I broke the school record, which I never expected to do,” Anderson said. “It’s really good to see the results and reap the benefits at the right time."

As a senior, Anderson is looking to go out on top. She said if she does well at regionals, she has a chance to go on to the NCAAs.

Randolph praised Anderson for her hard work and commitment during the offseason.

“We are looking forward for her going out on a very positive note," Randolph said. "Hopefully, that will be a goal to become an All-American and go to the National Championships."

On the men’s side, junior Alex Rose will be competing in two events at the preliminaries: the shot put and discus.

Rose became a Mid-American Conference champion in the discus last weekend, taking first place. Randolph has been pleased with the progression of Rose’s season.

“Alex had a very progressive season,” he said. “The overall goal has been trying to get him to compete later on in the season at a high level. Hopefully he is able to get back to the National Championships and earn All-American honors again.”

Rose has been a leader for the Chippewas this season. He is ranked as the No. 1 overall track and field athlete on the team.

The season couldn’t have gone better in Rose’s opinion.

“It’s going better than I ever expected,” Rose said. “More than any other year I am confident that I’ll (have) success in a national level this year.”

Competing at the priliminaries is something Rose is excited for. He also feels that it brings out the best in him.

“It feels great, I’m really excited at a chance to compete with all the big dogs across the county,” Rose said. “That’s where I feel I thrive.”