Track star Tecumseh Adams released from program for academic issues

Sophomore Tecumseh Adams has been released from the Central Michigan cross-country team due to being academically ineligible following the spring semester.

Adams was CMU’s best runner last year, finishing 69th in the NCAA championships.

Director of cross country Willie Randolph was not available for comment but released a statement through athletic communications.

"Tecumseh Adams was declared academically ineligible following the spring semester, and has subsequently been released from the track and field and cross-country program,” Randolph said in a statement. “We fully support the academic mission of Central Michigan University as an institution of higher education, as well as the consequences for those student-athletes who do not meet those expectations. While the subtraction of Tecumseh is both significant and unfortunate, we look forward to the coming cross country and track and field seasons featuring a number of up-and-coming distance runners in the great tradition of Central Michigan."

Adams' talent will be missed after he helped lead CMU to a second-place finish in the Mid-American Conference while being crowned the individual champion.

Not only was Adams the top runner for the cross-country program, but he was one of the top runners in track.

Adams holds a few records for CMU in indoor track. In the 5000-meter run, Adams broke the school record for indoor track with a time of 13:53 and broke the record for 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:02.

At the indoor MAC Championships, Adams placed second. He was a heralded recruit out of Harbor Springs after earning all-state honors in cross country twice and three times in track.