Search not yet begun for CMED associate dean replacement

Central Michigan University is planning a search for a new associate dean for student affairs for the College of Medicine.

The current associate dean, Dr. Lori Arviso Alvord, accepted a job as associate dean for student affairs and admission at the University of Arizona’s College of Medicine.

Alvord’s last day at CMU is Aug. 31, and CMU has not yet begun a search for Alvord’s replacement, said CMED Dean Ernest Yoder.

“We have appointed Dr. Joel Lanphear as the interim associate dean for student affairs,” Yoder said. “Dr. Lanphear’s appointment is for one year. We plan to have all student affairs leadership in place by the end of that year.”

In order for an applicant to be considered for this position, the applicant must have a medical doctor degree and a minimum of five years of leadership experience, with a minimum of three of those years being in a university setting.

The applicant must also meet other qualifications, such as the ability to perform the basic tasks of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.

“Job duties include delegated responsibility for oversight and management of medical student affairs and student services for the College of Medicine, including: strategic, financial and personal planning,” Yoder said.

Some of the other tasks consist of representing the dean on administrative committees, providing oversight for the College of Medicine’s financial aid program, and providing support for the medical student government.

“The median salary for this position is $215,954,” Yoder said.