Sadie Reynolds expected to start Saturday in 'must-win' field hockey game

Field hockey coach Cristy Freese used the words “must-win” to describe the team’s second conference game at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Ball State.

Central Michigan lost its first conference match against Miami (Ohio) last weekend 4-1.

“Is Ball State a must-win game? Absolutely,” Freese said. “One thing is, win or lose against Miami, we would still have to go into this game and win it.”

The Chippewas also play Pacific University at noon Sunday in East Lansing.

While MU has been among the upper echelon in the Mid-American Conference most years, BSU has been at the bottom of the standings.

The Cardinals haven't done much better this year, tallying a 2-7 record with a loss in their only conference game to another perennial conference bottom-dweller in Missouri State.

“The focus for our team has to be on passing and defending and putting our goalkeeper in the best position to be successful,” Freese said. “If we do those things, the best team will win the game.”

Sophomore Tori Widrick leads the Cardinals with four goals.

“Ball State is a hungry team,” Freese said. “They’re aggressive, and they’re a team that can be dangerous offensively.”

Chippewa sophomore Jordyn Brengosz dons a bandage on her forehead after getting hit with a stick in their first conference game.

She hopes the second will halt the five-game losing streak and puts CMU at .500 in the MAC.

“We want that MAC win, which will lead us going forward toward our goal of getting a MAC Championship,” Brengosz said. “We just have to capitalize in the circle and improve our play on the defensive end.”

The Pacific Tigers are a rare CMU opponent.  The Chippewas have a 1-1 record against them, all-time.

It was convenient to add the team, located in California, because it is traveling to East Lansing to also match up against Michigan State and Michigan.

Pacific has a multi-dimensional player in Emily Tregoning, who has three goals, as well as four assists this season.

Goalkeepers

Freshman goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds made six saves and allowed four goals in her first start against Iowa Sunday.

Freese said Tuesday that Reynolds will likely start again this weekend as a result of senior goalkeeper Anastasia Netto still being out with an illness.

“Sadie is a little bit more of an imposing figure; a little taller and a little bigger,” Freese said. “But what you’re giving up is a lot of experience, and I think that (showed) in the game on Sunday. I mean, I don’t think our defense helped any.”

Netto allowed 2.12 goals per game and had a .654 save percentage in her eight games this season.