Staff Predictions: Central Michigan vs. Iowa football

The Central Michigan Life football reporters weigh in on their expectations for this week's matchup against the Iowa Hawkeyes, Saturday at Kinnick Stadium.

Ryan Zuke:

Iowa is a beatable team.  It had to use a fourth-quarter comeback in its season-opener against Northern Illinois to win by one point.  The following week, the Hawkeyes scored just six points in a loss to Iowa State.  Yes, they are still a Big-Ten school, but I do not think they are as potent as in years past.  I think the game will be closer than most think.  Prediction: Iowa 27, CMU 17.

Brandon Champion:

Through three games, Iowa has been less than impressive. The Hawkeyes barely beat Northern Illinois in their opener and lost to in-state rival Iowa State 9-6 in week two. CMU has had two weeks to prepare, so I see this as a game CMU could win if it gets its run game going and force Iowa quarterback James Vandenberg to throw a couple interceptions. The Chippewas will make it close, but Iowa will pull away in the fourth quarter. Prediction:  Iowa 24, CMU 14 

Matt Thompson: 

Iowa is going through a down year and several injuries. CMU uses the bye week and rest to put together a strong performance on both sides of the ball. Zurlon Tipton and Anthony Garland combined for a nice rushing duo. CMU holds on to an early lead until late into the third quarter. The crowd noise, bad communication and poor throws allow the Iowa defense to capitalize with two interceptions in the second half. Prediction: Iowa 30, CMU 20

Justin Hicks:

Saturday’s matchup will be between two similar teams. Both bring in a senior quarterback who has yet to have a statistically impressive game this season, and both have relied heavily on their run game. The outcome will depend on which quarterback wins the turnover margin, which I expect will be James Vandenberg. Prediction: Iowa 31, CMU 27