Volleyball team loses third-straight match Saturday to Akron, 3-1

The volleyball team suffered its second loss in as many games this weekend falling to the Akron Zips (12-10) in four sets Saturday in Akron.

After a devastating loss to 2-7 Buffalo Friday night, Central Michigan traveled to Akron, where it failed to pull out a win. The loss drops the Chippewas to 6-4 in the Mid-American Conference.

“I think we played better tonight than we did last night (against Buffalo), but we need to be better on our transitions,” head coach Erik Olson said.

The Chippewas got off to a slow start, and the Zips lead CMU comfortably most of the first game. Set one was taken by Akron, 25-19.

CMU came out strong in the second set, going point-for-point until the Chippewas pulled ahead to a 25-12 win.

“I think we took turns, especially with passing,” Olson said. “In that game, we served really well, and they didn’t pass very well.”

The third set was closer than the first two, but, in the end, the Zips came out on top, winning 25-20.

Akron won the fourth set 26-24, destroying any chance at a CMU comeback.

Offensively, CMU had four players attaining double-digit kills. Leading the team was sophomore outside hitter, Kaitlyn McIntyre with 11 kills and 18 digs.

“(McIntyre) scored good points for us, and we were pretty impressed with her digging as well tonight,” Olson said.

Defensively, junior defensive specialist Jenna Coates led the team with her 24 digs. Also aiding the defense was senior outside hitter Lindsay Dulude (nine digs) and junior setter Kelly Maxwell (six digs).

The Chippewas (12-9) travel to Kalamazoo Friday to take on the Western Michigan Broncos for the second time this season. The Broncos won the first meeting, 3-1.

“Bottom line; our transitions need to be better and the left side needs to be more aggressive,” Olson said.