Student Veterans of America host panel in honor of Veteran's Day

outreach

Trisha Umpfenbach/Staff Photographer Bay City senior Kyle Elsea, a Veterans Outreach Panelist receives a hug from Ombudsman Barton Buechner wednesday evening in the library auditorium. The Veterans Outreach Panel had just presented Buechner with a Veteran Advocate Award, for the support he has provided to Student Veterans of America.

The Student Veterans of America at Central Michigan University hosted the Veteran’s Outreach Panel on Wednesday night in the Park Library Auditorium.

Although turnout for the event was unexpectedly low, the event continued as planned.

The SVA, which has an office in Warriner Hall, is designed to help those who have served in the military transition to higher education.

According to the SVA website, they offer networking for other veterans and help finding transitional programs on campus and in the Mount Pleasant community.

“[The SVA is] here to dispel rumors and misconceptions about military life,” said SVA President Marques Hicks. “Just having someone that can listen and talk is a great benefit to veterans.”

Beginning at 6 p.m., the presentation featured experiences and advice from a panel of four former servicemen from various branches of the military, including the Marines and the Navy.

The panel, led by Director of the Veteran’s Resource Center Steve Rellinger, consisted of Jeremy Simerson, Kyle Elsea, Marques Hicks and Barton Buechner – all veterans of the U.S. Military.

“We just want to get rid of the social taboo against veterans,” said Simerson, a former marine, during his presentation. “With the SVA, and more involvement, that’s very possible.”

After the presentation concluded, the SVA took the time to award Buechner with a plaque for his advocacy of veteran’s affairs at CMU.

The Veteran’s Outreach Panel is only one part of a series of events taking place on campus this week to commemorate Veteran’s Day. Other events include Issue’s Day Presentation and a Veteran’s Day Concert – both taking place on Saturday.

More information regarding these events can be found online.