Isabella County sheriff: Guns selling like ‘hotcakes’ after gun control talk

President Barack Obama unveiled a comprehensive gun control package, including 23 executive actions Wednesday in response to the recent Connecticut elementary school shooting.

But it seems this was just a preview of what is to come for gun control.

Obama said he intends to use whatever weight his office holds to make the executive actions a reality. Many of the president's proposals can be implemented through executive actions, but the rest, what the Washington Post calls more critical actions, need approval from Congress.

The centerpieces of Obama's gun control package, including a ban on assault weapons and universal background checks, must be approved by Congress.

Obama urged Congress to take up his package and pace it immediately, even if it is a tough political sell.

“To make a real and lasting difference, Congress, too, must act–and Congress must act soon,” Obama said. “And I’m calling on Congress to pass some very specific proposals right away.”

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said ever since talk began on limiting the amount of ammunition and guns sold, weaponry has been selling like 'hotcakes.'

“I think there is no question it has already spiked in sales, with no one knowing what (Obama) was planning on doing until yesterday,” Mioduszewski said.

Other portions of the package include directing the Centers for Disease Control and other agencies to research the causes of gun violence and directing federal law enforcement officials to trace all guns taken in custody during criminal investigations.

“As far as universal background checks go, that’s a step in the right direction,” Mioduszewski said . “Whether a weapon is sold privately or through Jay’s Sporting Goods, that would be beneficial for law enforcement.”

Addressing Obama's assault weapons ban proposal, Mioduszewski said he cannot recall ever seeing a hunter use an assault rifle in the woods and expects citizens who already own assault weapons to use them responsibility.

“I know a lot of law-abiding citizens have assault weapons such as AR-15 that we will never have a problem with this,” Mioduszewski said.

And there are some, Mioduszewski said, who will find any way they can to get a hold of these weapons no matter what, which could have a negative effect on law enforcement.