Search for provost down to about 30 candidates

Central Michigan University's search for the next provost is in the final recruitment stages.

Parker Executive Search, an Atlanta-based search firm hired by CMU in January for $70,000, announced in a news release Thursday advertisements have been placed and applications are being accepted for the person to replace Provost Gary Shapiro when he resigns at the end of the semester.

The search firm has contacted professionals from public and private institutions, along with leaders of academic associations to determine recommendations for the position.

Laurie Wilder, executive vice president and managing director of Parker Executive Search, said in the release almost 30 candidates have applied.

The search committee will schedule interviews with candidates in early March, with the interviews to be held later that month.

On-campus interviews will take place within the first two weeks of April, and the university hopes to make an offer on the position by the end of April.

Shapiro announced in September he was resigning at the end of the 2012-13 academic school year, taking a year off and then returning to CMU to teach in 2014.

Shapiro has held the position for three years and has been an employee at CMU since 1978.

The provost is the second-highest ranked administrator at the university and is responsible for the university’s academic division.

Wilder said the search committee will still accept nomination letters and recommendations from the campus community.