Softball no-hit by New Mexico to close weekend, finishes 2-3 at Lobos Classic

ark-cmuvnwu-09
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer Sophomore shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer, attempts to throw out a runner at first base Saturday afternoon against Northwood University in Mount Pleasant. The Chippewas beat the Timberwolves 11-1.

In the last game at the New Mexico Lobos Classic, softball faced off against New Mexico after splitting both sets of games earlier this weekend.

Prior to the game beginning, it was agreed upon between the coaches that the game will be called at 5:15 p.m. EST to allow Central Michigan to make its flight back to Mount Pleasant.

The Chippewas had a hard time getting on base for the night thanks to Lobos freshman Lauren Soles, who threw a no-hitter through five innings with six strikeouts.

New Mexico would go on to beat CMU 4-0 after a three-run rally in the first inning. The Lobos connected with a single from freshman Mariah Rimmer who stole second and was batted in to start the rally.

The Chippewas went three up and three down two innings in a row and could not put up the offensive effort to mount a comeback.

Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos held the Lobos to three runs until the top of the fourth inning, when New Mexico’s Rimmer hit a solo home run to put her team up 4-0.

CMU was saved by the clock in the top of the sixth when the Lobos began to put together a rally of hits.

The loss put the Chippewas at 2-3 on the weekend that started off Friday  with a solid win against Bradley, shutting it out 4-0. Dornbos pitched all seven innings in the first game, picking up five strikeouts. She gave up six hits on the night and walked one batter.

The offensive push was led by junior Brittney Horan, who led CMU with two hits and two RBIs in three at-bats.

In Friday's second game, CMU lost to New Mexico again, 4-1. The Chippewas got on base this time, recording eight hits, but were unable to bring them home, going scoreless in six of the seven innings.

Freshman Katelyn Rentschler led with two hits on the night and batting in the lone run.

On Saturday, it was another split, starting with an 8-6 win against Hampton before falling to IPFW 10-6 in extra innings.

It was as if the Chippewas saved all their hits for Saturday.

Sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer and senior Summer Knoop were productive offensively, combining for nine RBI in the two games.

In the first game, CMU started with a bang against the Pirates, securing a five-run lead in the first inning. The Chippewas let up six runs in the fourth inning after an error. A double to right field then batted in three runs to bring the Pirates within one, 7-6.

CMU scored again in the sixth inning to hold on to the win. Sexauer led the team with three of the team's 11 hits and five RBI.

In the next game, CMU was defeated by IPFW in extra innings.

The Chippewas were hanging with the Mastodons, staying tied 4-4 until the eighth inning. Quickly, CMU found itself down six runs off of five hits putting the game out of reach, ending the day with a 10-6 loss.

The Chippewas play in the USF Tournament starting March. 1 in Clearwater, Fla.