CMU scores team goal 196 in victory against Bowling Green

Gymnastics scored a season-high 196.125 to defeat Bowling Green at McGuirk Arena Saturday afternoon.

The Chippewas received their goal score thanks to a couple 9.9 performances by junior Emily Heinz and sophomore Taylor Noonan.

They started on the bars with Brittany Petzold leading the team where they took the lead and never lost it.

The team scored a season-high on the uneven bars with a 48.55. Petzold led the team with an average score from every event of 9.85, an astounding accolade from competing in all events. She even scored the top score for the all around with a career-high of 39.4 and setting a team-best for the season.

They enjoyed their meet a little more than most because of the team goal of breaching 196 points. The team did not score anything below a 49.175 in each event.

Two 9.9’s were awarded to Noonan on the beam, the second time she has accomplished that feat in her sophomore season. Heinz was awarded the 9.9 in beam as well, making it her first time this season to break into what gymnastics head coach Jerry Reighard calls the “red zone”. Although, even after the 9.9s, beam was CMU’s lowest score of the night.

At the beginning of the year the underclassmen were forced to step up in result of some of the upperclassmen being sidelined with injury. The last two Chippewas MAC victories against the Broncos and Falcons were led by the now healthy upperclassmen.

CMU now moves to 3-2 in MAC competition and 6-3 overall.

The team sets its sights on 7 p.m. Thursday when Alaska-Anchorage comes to McGuiurk Arena. The Seawolves struggled this year falling short of scoring a 193.