Softball rolls over Quinnipiac 9-1

Central Michigan softball finished their hectic spring break schedule with an overwhelming victory over Quinnipiac in the final day of the USF Tournament.

Quinnipiac (2-11) was no match for the offensive might of the Chippewas being out hit 9-1. Central Michigan (10-8) racked up 12 hits on the day as opposed to Quimmipiac’s one.

Senior Macy Merchant led in hits going 4-4 with one RBI. Senior Summer Knoop, sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer, and freshman Katelyn Rentschler all finished with two RBIs apiece.

On the mound for CMU was junior Morgan Yunker who only had to complete five innings in the victory. She surrendered one hit and one earned run.

Central Michigan took control of the game in the first inning with a two run lead. Merchant started the inning with a bunt and advanced to second on a throwing error by the Quinnipiac third baseman. Knoop singled down the right field line to score Merchant.

Junior Britteny Horan doubled to left center and advanced to third after a wild pitch putting her in scoring position. Sexauer brought Horan home on a sacrifice fly to right field to make it 2-0.

Quinnipiac came close to scoring in the second with a man on third with two outs but the Chippewas made the play on a ground ball to stop the Bobcats in their tracks.

Central Michigan didn’t let up in the third; putting distance on their lead with two more runs.

Merchant led with a single and advanced to second again on a fielding error. Knoop grounded out, but allowed Merchant to make it to scoring position where she was batted in off a single from Horan.  The next play, Horan bolted and stole second base. Sexuaer knocked her 14th RBI of the season with a double to bring in Horan and put the score 4-0.

The Chippewas put up another run in the fourth thanks to a Merchant single to score junior Raechel Zahrn pinch running for junior Karly Hansen. Quinnipiac responded with their only run of the day from a home run to center field.

Central Michigan drove further ahead in the sixth, putting up four runs and five hits. With bases loaded, Rentschler singled through the right side to bring in DeLamielleure and Sexauer. With freshman Trista Cox on third, Hansen forced a fielders choice that allowed Cox to score at the cost of Rentschler being thrown out.

The final run came from Knoop who singled to the left side to score Hansen, ending the game 9-1.