Softball splits day two, Knoop bats in winning run in close game with Loyola Chicago

In day two of the USF Under Armour Invitational, softball split with a loss against No. 19 Kentucky and a close win against Loyola-Chicago.

Against No. 19 Kentucky, CMU could not replicate its previous success at the plate, only recording three hits in the 3-1 loss.

Junio pitcher Lauren Cumbess cooled the Chippewas bats, which were anything but on Friday, with seven strikeouts and allowing one walk.  Cumbess pitched a complete game for the Wildcats.

Senior Kara Dornbos was on the mound for another full game for the Chippewas, giving up three earned runs and five hits in game one.

Dornbos recorded two strikeouts and kept Kentucky scoreless in five innings, but could not hold back a third inning surge that put her team behind.

Aside from a momentary lapse, Central Michigan was locked in a defensive struggle with the Wildcats.

In the first inning, the  lineup once again had little trouble finding their way on base. Senior Macy Merchant walked to first base followed by singles by senior Summer Knoop and sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer to load the bases.

The team was able to get an early lead after a wild pitch allowed Knoop to score, but it would not round the bases for the rest of the afternoon.

Kentucky broke the 1-0 game wide open in the bottom of the third with an offensive push. The Wildcats were dangerous base runners, stealing two bases and advancing on a long throw from the outfield.

Later that day, the Chippewas played Loyola-Chicago in a tense 3-2 game that came down to the final inning.

Going into the bottom of the seventh, they were down 2-1 after a strong defensive effort by Loyola-Chicago that kept from capitalizing on baserunners.

Merchant tied the game 2-2 with a single that allowed sophomore Lauren Smith to score with one out.

Knoop came up to bat with two outs in the bottom of the seventh and smacked a single to center field that sent junior Raechel Zharn home to secure the win for CMU.

Junior Morgan Yuncker started in the circle, pitching 4.1 innings and allowing two earned runs. Junior Kristen Kuhlman stepped in for the final 2.2 innings to earn the win, allowing one hit to close the game.

Central Michigan is now 4-1 in the USF Under Armour Tournament and ends the weekend in a single game tomorrow against SFA.