Baseball loses game two at Ball State on Saturday

Ball State’s Scott Baker pitched a complete game in Saturday’s 6-1 win against the Central Michigan baseball team.

Although CMU won 19-2 in Friday’s game, the Chippewas dropped the second game, as Baker improved to 8-0 this season.

A home run from freshman Neal Jacobs was the only time CMU scored in the game Saturday.

CMU went down 1-2-3 in the first inning, while Ball State was able to bring in two runs in its half of the inning.

In the second inning it appeared CMU would again have the first three batters go down, but junior Noel Santos reached on an error.

Sophomore Cody Leichman was able to single after, but redshirt sophomore Tyler Huntey grounded out for the third out.

The Cardinals continued to extend their lead, adding on two more runs to make it 4-0  by the end of the second inning.

The Chippewas got a hit in the third, fourth, and fifth innings, but couldn’t come up with any runs.

Meanwhile, Ball State had scored again in the fifth.

Jacobs’ home run in the seventh finally had CMU on the board, but Ball State answered with a run over its own to widen the gap, leading the Chippewas 6-1.

CMU couldn’t swing the momentum in the eighth and also came up empty in the ninth.

Freshman Taylor Lehnert got the start on the mound for CMU, pitching six innings and giving up nine hits.

Lehnert didn’t have any strikeouts and recorded three walks.

CMU and Ball State will wrap up the three-game series with a 1 p.m. game on Sunday.