Baseball routes Ball State 19-2 on Friday

A big sixth inning helped the baseball team run away with Friday’s game against Ball State.

The Chippewas defeated the Cardinals 19-2, using some offensive muscle combined with taking advantage of Ball State errors.

While the home team scored a run in the first inning to take the lead, CMU answered with two runs in the second.

Senior Jordan Adams and freshman Neal Jacobs hit back-to-back singles to get on base and both ended up scoring.

Ball State tacked on a run in the fourth to tie the game, but two innings later the Chippewas offensive came alive.

CMU scored nine runs in the sixth with sophomore Nick Regnier kicking things off with a single.

Two batters later, freshman Logan Regnier was intentionally walked, followed by Adams being walked as well.

With the bases loaded, a single from Jacobs brought in two runs.

Another run scored and Ball State changed pitchers, but CMU wasn’t ready to be stopped and added on six more.

The Chippewas lead 11-2 before scoring two more in the seventh with an unearned run and a single by Nick Regnier to drive in a run.

CMU scored six runs in the last two innings, reaching a total of 19 off the 12 hits the team had in the game.

Sophomore Jordan Foley pitched seven innings for the Chippewas, striking out seven, walking four and allowing two earned runs.

The second game of the three-game series between CMU and Ball State will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday.