Outfielder Brogan Darwin heating up at the plate for softball

kt-softballvbg-07
Senior outfielder Summer Knoop slides into home base during Central's game against Bowling Green Saturday afternoon at Margo Jonker Stadium. Central won 4-2. Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer

Senior outfielder Brogan Darwin is beginning to turn around what was a tough slump over the last few weeks.

Putting together a solid performance in games with Toledo Saturday and Sunday, Darwin helped her team to a series split.

"She hit the ball well today and has been hitting better in the last couple of games than she was in the beginning of the season," head coach Margo Jonker said.

Darwin went 3-for-6 over the weekend, hitting .292 over the last ten games. She has a .200 batting average on the season but is beginning to change that with performances such as Sunday's, when she went 2-for-3 with a solo home run, her first of the year.

This came in a tough loss against Toledo, where Darwin's success at the plate was overshadowed by an overall poor team performance.

"It is bittersweet because I got a good hit, but there are things I could have done better," Darwin said. "Like my last at-bat and a ball in the field I could have maybe dove for. There are things we could have done, but we beat ourselves."

Darwin stayed positive after the loss, encouraging her teammates to refocus after mistakes cost them a close game.

"We need to come back, because we have Michigan on Tuesday, and that's a big game, too," Darwin said. "It's all about who is going to show up. So, this game humbled us a bit, and, hopefully, it will light a fire under our butts, and we can come back stronger."

She hasn't been very prolific this season, with only five RBI and five runs in her 24 appearances, but Darwin takes on an important support role as a senior. Despite her early troubles, Darwin has been breaking out in the last 10 games, earning seven of her 10 hits in April.

She will take the field on Tuesday in Ann Arbor against Michigan in the only remaining non-conference game of the season.