Chippewas sweep Huskies in doubleheader match-up

The softball team displayed their power at the plate to earn themselves to more conference victories over the Northern Illinois Huskies in the double header on Friday.

The Chippewas got on the board first in game two with an RBI single to center by junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure.

However, the Huskies had some pop at the plate of their own adding three solo home runs in the third, fifth, and sixth innings putting the Chippewas down 3-2.

The softballs continued to fly out of the yard going into the seventh inning for the Chippewas. Cory DeLamielleure would add two more RBI’s to her stat sheet with a home run to center field putting the team back on top.

After sophomore Carol Ann Sexauer singled, freshman Katelyn Rentschler added her second home run of the day adding to more runs to the board.

It didn’t stop their however, sophomore Trista Cox would add another home run to put the Chippewas ahead 7-3.

“We came up with more power today than any other games this year and from multiple people. Rentschler got her first career homeruns and it was nice to see Cox show power,” said head coach Margo Jonker.

Junior pitcher Kristen Kuhlman would blank the Huskies in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Chippewas a game two victory.

Game one started off much slower for both teams going scoreless through the first three innings of the game.

In the top of the fourth senior Macy Merchant led the inning off with a triple. She would be batted in off a home run by Cory DeLamielleure who had two home runs on the day.

The Chippewas would continue to pile on the runs. Going into the bottom of the seventh inning the team was up 7-1, but the Huskies weren’t going to make it easy.

The Huskies would start the last inning off with a double and two singles to start their late rally. However, it would be too late and the Chippewas would hold the Huskies off to earn themselves a 7-6 win.

“We just need to keep on winning because we know other schools are also going to continue to win. Just need to take it a day at a time,” Jonker said.

The Chippewas Saturday match up against conference rival Western Michigan University was changed to Sunday to make Sunday a double header match up. The first game will begin at one p.m.