CMU softball goes 4-0 over weekend, sweeping Western Michigan and Northern Illinois

Softball had another successful weekend on the road, sweeping both Northern Illinois and rival Western Michigan in doubleheaders Friday and Sunday.

“We just need to keep on winning because we know other schools are also going to continue to win," said head coach Margo Jonker. "We just need to take it a day at a time."

The team got off to a quick start in game two against the Broncos Sunday, with senior Macy Merchant posting a leadoff single and stealing second. The first two runs of the game came off the bat of freshman Katelyn Rentschler with a single that brought in Merchant and sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer.

The second and third innings were dominated by pitching, with each team only posting a hit each. However, the Chippewas would pile on the runs in the fourth inning.

Sexauer started the inning off with a single and would cross the plate from a single to center field by sophomore Trista Cox. Senior Brogan Darwin and junior Brittney Horan would add an RBI of their own later in the inning to put the team up 5-0.

WMU tried to make a late come back, putting runs on the board in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. But CMU would hold off the comeback by adding three runs off of three hits in the seventh inning, putting the final score at 8-4.

The Chippewas got on the board first in game one, on four-straight walks and an error in the top of the third inning.

Junior Raechel Zahrn reached base in the fourth inning off an error and then stole second base. Merchant would bat Zahrn in on an RBI double to left field for her only hit of the game.

The Broncos pitching would continue to pile up walks throughout the game. Senior Summer Knoop would add two insurance runs with an RBI double to center field to make the score 4-0 in the sixth inning.

Again, off a walk, Horan would hit Cox in off a single up the middle to put the game at its final score of 5-0.

Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos would continue her season dominance with a complete game shutout, allowing four hits and no walks.

Earlier in the weekend, the Chippewas had a doubleheader against another Mid-American Conference opponent, Northern Illinois. The team swept the Huskies off six home runs.

Rentschler would hit her first two home runs of her collegiate career in game two as junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure continued her hot streak at the plate, adding two home runs of her own.

“We came up with more power (Friday) than any other games this year and from multiple people," Jonker said. "Rentschler got her first career home runs and it was nice to see."

The team does not play midweek, hosting Bowling Green Friday at Margo Jonker Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.