CMU softball travels to Northern Illinois, Western Michigan for four games this weekend

Softball is back on the road this weekend with a doubleheader at Northern Illinois Friday and two-game series at Western Michigan on Saturday and Sunday.

Due to weather, the Chippewas' game against in-state foe Michigan State earlier this week was cancelled, giving the team five days of rest following the doubleheader against Kent State.

“We always want to play as many games as possible to prepare us for conference games, and we love to play," said senior outfielder Macy Merchant. "It’s always a good game (with Michigan State). (It) would have been fun."

The Chippewas were riding a six-game winning streak until the 11-inning loss against the Golden Flashes on Sunday. The team now looks to get rid of the sour taste in its mouth and improve to 6-2 in the Mid-American Conference against the Huskies.

With an overall series record of 33-22-1, CMU has the edge with NIU; however, the Chippewas were swept in last year’s series.

“Against Northern Illinois, it’s vital that we start strong immediately and continue to realize that things can change quickly in the game," said head coach Margo Jonker. "We need to be on top of it until the game is completely over."

Coming into this weekend, the Chippewas have several players swinging the bat well. Merchant is coming off a 5-for-6 game, which is a program record for most hits in a game. Also, junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure has raised her batting average to .241 in the past month and was named MAC West Player of the Week.

DeLamielleure also continues to catch the best pitching staff in the MAC, who has an ERA of 2.21 and an opponent batting average of .234. Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos joins DeLamielleure in the accolades, receiving MAC West Pitcher of the Week.

After playing the Huskies, the team will turn its attention to the rival Broncos on Saturday and Sunday in Kalamazoo. Like NIU, the Chippewas have a winning record against WMU at 65-37 all time.

“They always play well against us," Jonker said. "We need to be ready to come with our best game, knowing there’s a little extra riding on the game with the rivalry"