Cory DeLamielleure heating up at the plate

Going back a month, you would find junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure’s batting average at .125.

Today, her average sits at .239, not an astounding number, but on the rise.

DeLamielleure now leads the team in triples, second in home runs with three and second with a slugging percentage of .493.

“I’ve just been having confidence at the plate," DeLamielleure said. "Not thinking so much and trying to keep it simple. Not getting frustrated."

Not only is DeLamielleure hitting the ball more often now, she is getting the hits at the right time. A month ago, she had four RBIs; she is now fourth on the team with 14.

DeLamielleure heated up in Wednesday's doubleheader against the University of Detroit-Mercy in the team’s first games of the season at Margo Jonker Stadium. Not only did she end the first game with a walk-off home run to enforce the mercy rule, but she continued her streak at the plate in the second game.

In Game one, she went 2-for-3 with the mercy-winning home run and a double. In the second game, she went 3-for-3 at the plate, with two triples and a single, hitting for a total 13 bases. In the team’s last three games she has gone 7-for-9 with seven RBIs.

“She is swinging the bat more aggressively and having better pitch selection," said head coach Margo Jonker. "And she is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Hitting the best she has for us in her career."

Also, being a catcher has its advantages, DeLamielleure says, with knowing the strike zone and which pitches to let go. This could be the reason why she leads the team in walks with 11, which almost doubles freshman Katelyn Rentschler and sophomore Trista Cox, who are second with six.

Not only has DeLamielleure been heating up at the plate, she also catches the best pitching staff in the Mid-American Conference.

“She is a great defensive catcher," Jonker said. "She takes charge of the game and is one of the best catchers we have ever had here."

Even her fielding percentage has gone up from a month ago. On March 3, it was .960; today it stands at .977.

It would be safe to say that DeLamielleure is a crucial part of the Chippewas success, leading a great and veteran pitching staff and now becoming one of the team’s premier hitters.