Macy Merchant 'sets the table' for softball

cm-softballportraits08
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Senior outfielder Macy Merchant finished last season with with a .350 batting average, 63 hits and 14 stolen bases, while recording 15 multiple hot games. She looks to the ideal lead-off hitter for the Chippwas this season.

The combination of smart base running and batting skills has made senior Macy Merchant an effective leadoff hitter for the softball team since her sophomore season.

Merchant has had an imposing showing in her final year at the plate by leading softball with a team-high 30 hits and a solid .370 batting average.

Once on base, the left-handed Merchant has been deadly, with seven stolen bases in nine attempts allowing her to get into scoring position quickly for her teammates to bring her home, generating 13 runs and a host of RBIs for her teammates.

“Macy has pretty much all the tools you need to have in that position," said head coach Margo Jonker. "She has wheels, she has the on-base percentage, and she knows the game. She’s a great spark plug for the team to get things going, something we call a 'table setter.'"

As a leadoff hitter, the main objective is to set the tone for the rest of the team. “Setting the table” for her teammates to bat her in, Merchant has been very effective at starting things off with quick runs to swing momentum in her team’s favor.

“It’s important for us to know that we can hit the pitcher and we can score runs,” Merchant said. “That gives us confidence for the rest of the game. It lets us know that the pitcher isn’t going to overpower us; we set the tone, and we are in charge because we like to be in that position.”

The leadoff spot comes with a heavy responsibility and the pressure that follows. Merchant has held the distinguished position since her sophomore season but has always embraced the burden that comes with it.

“It’s a fun spot to be in because I think the pitcher has more pressure than I do," Merchant said. "I try to keep it simple and just try to get on base. I know that I have my team behind me.”

Merchant is the first to face off against the opposing pitcher and provides vital scouting information on what is being thrown and where. Jonker stresses maximizing at-bats to her players to see the different pitches and work the foe in the circle. By reporting her experience at the plate to her teammates in the dugout, Merchant is even more valuable.

A low and outside pitch is her favorite to connect with, but, no matter how Merchant gets on base, she becomes a lethal scoring machine. The number two and three batters lead the Chippewas in RBI, illustrating how she can be hit in from almost anywhere.

Jonker stated that Merchant’s speed grants her a shot to make it home on most solid hits through the field. This speed also translates into more stolen bases.

“It’s a team game, and we keep it simple: get on base, bunt the next runner and score," Merchant said. "That’s how we’ve been doing it, and I think it’s a big part for me to get on base right away."

In her final season, Merchant and the rest of the softball team have been working with one goal in mind: the Mid-American Conference championships. Falling in the finals last year, the Chippewas have been putting in the effort in practice every day to take the title home.

A part of the whole, Merchant expressed she holds the leadoff position for the benefit of her team only.

As she says, “It's an important spot, but it's not any more important than the nine batter.”