Softball opens Margo Jonker Stadium Wednesday in doubleheader against Detroit-Mercy

ark-cmuvnwu-06

On Sept. 22, 2012, Central Michigan head coach Margo Jonker shakes hands with the Northwood team following the Chippewas 11-1 win over the Timberwolves at Margo Jonker Stadium.

You'd have to go all the way back to 2009 to find the last time the softball team had a full-game victory against Detroit-Mercy.

Since the second game of a doubleheader in 2009, the Chippewas have won by mercy rule every year against Detroit. Since 2010, the games haven’t lasted longer than five innings. The two teams meet again Wednesday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

First pitch is set for 2 p.m., while the night cap is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.

Last year’s doubleheader against the Titans ended with a combined 25-5 blowout, with both games ending in five innings with the first 14-4 and the second 11-1, and, since 2010, the Chippewas are 6-0 with a combined score of 63-5. But, Jonker isn't letting her team get caught up with how it did in the past.

“Every day is different, so you have to attack every game like a new game," said head coach Margo Jonker. "So, how we did last year is a totally different team for them and different team for us."

Coming into this game, CMU was able to gain its first Mid-American Conference win of the season, thanks to a dominating pitching performance by junior Chelsea Sundberg.

“I take it one game at a time," Sundberg said. "Try not to mash them all together so that I’m not carrying anything into another game. I will carry the confidence from that game into the next game, but that’s about it."

Sophomore shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer will look to continue her hot batting streak, coming off a 4-for-7 performance in two game series against Eastern Michigan last weekend. She has taken over the team-best average at .373 and has a team-high 19 RBI, eight doubles and five home runs, two of which she hit in Ypsilanti.

Since the 2009 season, the team has been able to outscore the UDM 77-9 through eight games played, but new head coach Liz Young will look to turn the tide and spoil the Chippewas 2013 home-opener at newly renovated Margo Jonker Stadium.

They have an all-time record of 33-2 against the Titans, the best winning percentage against any team they have played more than 20 times.

“With good weather, we have great fan support and community support," Jonker said. "We're excited to play at home"