Threads hosts resale fundraiser, sells gently-used donations

Fashion and savings joined together with Threads and the Fashion Association of Merchandising and Design at a clothing resale event in the Bovee Rotunda Monday night.

Threads, the annual student-run fashion show and second-biggest event on campus, hosted the sale in efforts to fundraise for their upcoming show on April 13.

Threads promotion team member Lexi Sheehan said students donated gently-used clothing on two different days last week and the items were then priced and displayed on tables for attendees to pick through. Everything was under $5. The collection of donated items included a lot of jeans, name-brand items, shirts, tank tops, dresses and coats.

Sheehan, an Almont sophomore, said they need to fundraise a lot for Threads.

“It’s like $20,000 to rent out McGuirk but the Plachta fit with our theme this year and we’re just really excited about it and it’s going to be a lot more personal,” Sheehan said.

The 21 student designers will send down their models in collections based off of their favorite films.

Romeo junior Natalie Kauflin said the show promotes the talent in the Apparel Merchandising and Design program.

“It gives (students) the chance to showcase their designs as well,” Kauflin said.

With the help of F.A.M.D. members, Threads was able to put on this event.

Kauflin said Threads is probably the biggest thing that brings together both groups.

“We need so many volunteers form not only Threads but also F.A.M.D. as well,” she said. “We spend so much time together from being in the sewing lab and in the promotions class.”

F.A.M.D. members get points for the fundraising portion of their membership by helping out at Threads fundraisers.

All of the items not sold are being donated to the local women’s shelter, Women’s Aid Service, Inc

“It’s nice to help out, especially with everybody who we had donate their clothes and being able to support another organization through our own fundraising,” Kauflin said.

Threads members plan to host another event similar to this one when it is closer to the actual show date, but they want to make it even bigger with more of a club feel.