Top-10 summer hits of all time

The weather is getting warmer and the semester is winding down, which means summer is just around the corner.

For most college students, summer is a time to unwind, relax, lay out in the sun, hang out with friends and listen to music. Everyone has a different taste in music, but here are some suggestions for summer jams from the Billboard top-10 summer songs of all time.

1. "California Gurls" - Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg: This song came out in 2010 and was the top hit for that summer. The beat is fun, and the lyrics make you want to roll down the windows and sing at the top of your lungs.

2. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful: This song came out in 1966, so it probably isn't that popular with the college crowd. However, this song sings about the summer in New York, and it has that perfect oldies beat to it.

3. "Wipe Out" - The Surfaris: This song came out in 1962 and has the feel of a Beach Boys song, but without lyrics. Most students will probably recognize this song from the movie The Sandlot.

4. "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" - Bryan Hyland: This hit song that came out in 1960 is a summer classic that everybody knows.

5. "Surf City" - Jan & Dean: This song came out in 1963 and also has that perfect surfin', care-free rhythm to it.

6. "Endless Summer Nights" - Richard Marx: This song isn't as upbeat as the other summer songs, but it sings about that one summer fling that a lot of people experience. "Endless Summer Nights" came out in 1988 and reached No. 2 on the Billboard charts that same year.

7. "Summertime" - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince: This song is a bit nostalgic for a lot of college students, because it came out in 1991. The generation of the 1990s grew up watching "The Fresh Prince of Bel-air" and listening to hip-hop.

8. "Surfin' U.S.A." - The Beach Boys: This song is a summer favorite for all generations. This hit came out in 1963 and has all the right elements to make it a summer hit: a fun beat, catchy lyrics and happy vibe.

9. "Hot Fun in the Summertime" - Sly & The Family Stone: This song came out in 1969 and became a hit when Sly & The Family played it at the most famous music festival ever, Woodstock. During the song, each member of the group has a line where they express what they love most about summer.

10. "Summer Nights" - John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John: This summer favorite was made famous in 1978 in the movie "Grease." "Summer Nights" is another song about summer flings.