Enos has pieces to win in fourth year

DETROIT — The fourth season for a head football coach is a time when the roots of a program are deeply entrenched and a program can blossom.

Head coach Dan Enos’ former boss, Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio, won 11 games and a Big Ten Championship in his fourth year after tallying seven, nine and six wins in his first three seasons.

It is now time to see what Enos, entering his fourth year, will do at Central Michigan after having time to garner most of the tools he needs for his scheme.

Nearly all Chippewas, except redshirt seniors, were personally sought after by the coaching staff, or at least asked to stay on board when it comes to the 2010 recruiting class.

“I say this to my staff all the time, I'm a general manager too. I’m not just the head coach,” Enos said. “I think in college football, one of the biggest jobs a coach has is going out there and making sure we bring in our people.”

It was easy for him to find growth in the team he has cultivated through the years.

“I see growth and development in all phases,” he said. “I see more depth. I see bigger guys. I see bigger defensive line.”

He said an aspect that is fairly new to the program is younger players are able to redshirt and veterans are in starting positions.

“We’re working extremely hard and we’re very thorough in who we bring in,” he said. “It’s fun watching these guys grow and develop.”

Senior defensive back Avery Cunningham signed to play for CMU for the 2011 season 11 days after Enos was introduced as head coach.

He has also seen the growth the team and within himself.

“The character of the team (has grown). A lot of character changes,” he said. “I think I’ve became a mature football player.”

The changes in terms of win/loss record started last year.

The Chippewas were on the verge of another 3-9 season after it lost six of its first nine games.

But, CMU finished off the season winning four-straight to earn a record of 7-6, ending the season on a positive note with a win in the Little Caesars Bowl in Detroit.

“You definitely feel more comfortable going into the season now,” said senior running back Zurlon Tipton. “It’s kind of hard to bounce back from a 3-9 season.”

Tipton and Enos agree the team cannot be satisfied though.

“The play from last year has nothing to do with this year. We start anew. We got to work. We got to provide leadership,” Enos said. “We got to do all of those things.”