Business of the Week: Erbert and Gerbert's Sandwich Shop

a2-businessoftheweek

A new business has strolled into town equipped with funky names for its sandwiches, late night deliveries and a catering service.

Erbert and Gerbert's Sandwich Shop is the third business to occupy the address of 2208 S. Mission St. in the Stadium Mall, and has customers guessing what makes it different from other sub places in town.

"We deliver late, which is very popular among college students," said Randy Hall, owner and general manager of Eberts and Gerbert's.

On the wall, there is a cast of colorful characters representing each signature sandwich. The character names are from stories told to founder Kevin Schippers by his father.

Several recently-hired employees include Central Michigan University students.

One of these workers is Grand Rapids senior Grace Wismer, who first found out about the shop at MAINstage where she submitted her application.

"I had never heard of it until my friend who lives in Minnesota saw it," Wismer said. "She had said she loved going to Erbert and Gerbert's back at home and was excited to see it coming to Mount Pleasant."

Wismer said all the employees had to be trained for the job before opening day.

"We were trained four days with the corporate before opening and were allowed to taste the meat we were serving," Wismer said. "It tasted like high-quality meat."

Wismer said she has loved the work environment and so far it has been more exciting than working anywhere else.

The shop opened on Sept. 6. This was the second restaurant to open in Michigan, with the first being located in Portage. Most of the Erbert and Gerbert's franchises are located in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

The hours of operation and delivery are from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Monday through Sunday.