Strong pitching guides Chippewas in fall play

Pitching has led the way for softball during the fall exhibition schedule.

The Chippewas pitching staff has allowed a total of three runs through three games in the fall.

This fall, four players have stepped into the circle for the Chippewas and all have looked impressive. Seniors Chelsea Sundberg and Morgan Yucker have seen plenty of time, along with junior Kristen Kuhlman and freshman Rachael Knapp.

“I think we are pretty solid so far. We haven’t given up too many hits and not too many people got past second base," Sundberg said. "We’ve also been able to keep the ball in play for our defense to make some plays. It’s a good outlook for all of us."

Sundberg has pitched five scoreless innings, striking out four and allowing four hits. Knapp has gone for five innings, surrendering three hits and striking out six.

“It feels really great to be a part of the team and help out as much as I can,” Knapp said.

The early emergence of pitching might give the Chippewas hope to replace the hole left by Kara Dornbos after her graduation last season. Dornbos set plenty of records in her four years at Central Michigan, including the single-season record for appearances in a season, with 36 in 2012.

“It’s definitely too early to tell if we can fill the holes she left, but so far it’s good,” Sundberg said.

Though pitching has been impressive, they have created some situations in games for themselves. Batters have been able to get on base, but the pitchers have been able to work around them.

“Obviously, we don’t want to get into those situations, but they did get out of it with the defense," said head coach Margo Jonker. "You have to have a combination of great defense and pitching, so I thought they did a great job"