Week 4: Football opens MAC schedule with Toledo

toledo

toledoSeth Newman staff reporter (3-0):

It's been a tale of two halves for CMU this season.

One crazy comeback on New Hampshire and blowing a 21-point lead against UNLV last week. I think for the first time they will play consistently this week against Toledo.

The Rockets have faced a much tougher schedule, which I believe will have prepared them. Toledo has a lot of offensive stars, including running back David Fluellen. I like him to have a big game due to the fact the Toledo might be without it’s starting quarterback.

Toledo 30, CMU 23

Aaron McMann senior reporter (2-1):

This game could prove critical for the remainder of the season.

Toledo is a better team, no doubt. How much better with quarterback Terrance Owens out or playing hurt – we'll find out at gametime Saturday. Redshirt freshman quarterback Cooper Rush returns to Kelly/Shorts Stadium, a place he is more comfortable playing at, with Titus Davis finding his stride at receiver.

After three games, including two respectable showings at Florida and Missouri, the Rockets defense ranks near the top of the Mid-American Conference in nearly every category. It will give CMU fits early. Toledo takes a lead early and CMU fights to keep it close.

Toledo 31, CMU 27

Kristopher Lodes sports editor (2-1):

In the first half of last week, CMU looked like it was back in the Dan LeFevour days, jumping out to a quick 21-0 lead in the first half with Cooper Rush directing the charge.

The second half is what fans saw in 2010-11; the Chippewas failed to score again while UNLV ran away with a 31-21 win. CMU will have to put four quarters together if it wants a win against Toledo. The Rockets might be without its starting quarterback, but strong defense and good supporting roles will give them a boost.

Toledo 38, CMU 23

Jeff Papworth staff reporter (2-1): It has come to a point of why Central Michigan will lose, instead of if. The reason they will not be a victor against Toledo at home is because of one player: David Fluellen.

He is a good running back that the Chippewas so desperately need and the Rockets have. After playing Florida’s stifling defense, Fluellen has rushed for 254 yards in the last two games, only 29 fewer than what CMU has rushed for all season.
So no matter the status of Toledo quarterback Terrence Owens, the Rockets will win by a comfortable margin.
Toledo 35, CMU 21