COLUMN: My top-10 games while covering CMU sports

Since my arrival on campus in 2010 I've been working at the sports desk of Central Michigan Life, and this is my last issue on staff.

It has been a great three and-a-half years, but now I'm off to Big Rapids to work at The Pioneer. Before I leave though, I'd like to reflect on the 10 best games I covered at the University.

10) Sept. 18, 2010: My first game

My first game I covered was the Battle for the Golden Keg.

For those who don't know, that is the rivalry trophy that men's club rugby teams of Central Michigan and Ferris State play for every year.

The trophy has been around since 1995 and CMU won it this time around, 37-7.

9) March 9-12, 2012: Softball MAC tournament run

Although the Chippewas didn't leave Akron with the trophy, it was special seeing one of the most dominating pitching performances in my life.

Kara Dornbos, in her junior year, threw 33.1 innings, went 3-1 with a save and posted an ERA of 0.42.

The team lost in back-to-back games against Miami (Ohio), but leading up to the title games it beat No. 7 Kent State and then N0. 3 Bowling Green, 2-1. They also beat the RedHawks 1-0 and Western Michigan 2-0.

8) April 1, 2012: Baseball loses in 15 innings

The Chippewas dropped a 15-inning thriller, 5-4 at Bowling Green.

It wasn't thrilling having to listen to the radio broadcast of a 15 inning game, but what a game nonetheless.

Dietrich Enns pitched an outstanding 6.2 innings while Pat Kaminska pitched a stellar 5.1 innings.

CMU had its chances, but the Falcons clinched it with a single up the middle after a pass ball and a sacrifice fly.

7) Dec, 29 2012: Men's basketball battles No. 2 Michigan 

The game was never in question as the Wolverines beat the Chippewas 88-73, but it was a great experience for not only the team, but myself.

CMU played a hard-fought game, and, to that point of the season, scored more points than any had on the Wolverines all season.

Another shocker, the Chippewas outrebounded Michigan with freshman Spencer Krannitz leading the way with nine off the bench.

6) Dec. 11, 2011: Women's basketball upsets No. 12 Purdue

A few days after finals of the 2011 Fall Semester, the Chippewas team defeated the No. 12 Boilermakers, 75-62.

Even though there weren't a ton fans and no students, it was one of the loudest games I ever covered.

CMU was hot from three-point range behind sophomore Niki DiGuilio, freshman Crystal Bradford and many others, and Purdue couldn't keep up with CMU while it was at its finest.

5) Oct. 29, 2011: CMU football escapes Akron with a win

Behind freshman Anthony Garland's 141 yards, the Chippewas survived Akron 23-22, partially because of some questionable Zips play calling.

CMU opened up with a 20-0 lead, but that slowly disappeared until the final sequence. With four seconds left in the game, Akron scored a touchdown as time expired, and all that was left was the extra point.

Go into overtime or go for the win? Akron chose the second with a fake field goal that failed miserably as the Chippewas stopped them short of the win.

4) May 26, 2012: Theunissen's walk-off

Earlier in the season, senior Nate Theunissen became Central Michigan's all-time hit leader.

During the MAC tournament the Chippewas were facing elimination against rival Eastern Michigan and he stepped up when the team needed him.

He had two hits in the quarterfinal matchup, both were with two outs, both were home runs. He tied the game at four in the  seventh inning and then gave the Chippewas the 6-4 win in the ninth.

3) March 10, 2012: Women's basketball loses MAC title

The Chippewas were in their first MAC title game since 1991 and hadn't been in the NCAA tournament since 1984.

They were looking to beat rival Eastern Michigan, but lost 72-71.

It was a back-and-forth affair, but with 11 seconds left, EMU guard Tavelyn James traveled and the Eagles fouled Jessica Green to put her on the free throw line to help clinch the win.

She missed. Senior Paige Reddit got the ball and scored on the other end as time expired.

CMU would come back strong in 2012-13, win the MAC and make it to the NCAA tournament.

2) Jan. 25, 2012: The Fight

The game itself was uneventful, as the Chippewas handled Ohio 67-53.

But what happened during a typical media timeout early in the first half was anything but normal.

Freshman forward Jas'Mine Bracey and Bobcats junior forward Porsha Harris started a fight that escalated with both benches clearing and causing mayhem and confusion for a good 20 minutes as officials tried to figure out who to eject.

The result: Bracey and Harris were ejected and Crystal Bradford and Jessica Green were suspended for two games with Bracey.

1) Nov. 20, 2011: CMU volleyball wins first MAC Championship in program history

The Chippewas were the No. 6 seed in the MAC tournament and taking on No. 1 Northern Illinois, who beat CMU 3-0 and 3-1 during the season.

CMU beat rival Western Michigan and defending MAC champion Ohio to get to the Huskies. Senior Kaitlyn Schultz and freshman Kaitlyn McIntyre were dominate as sophomore setter Kelly Maxwell directed the Chippewas to wins in the first and second sets.

The Huskies weren't folding though, winning sets three and four and forcing a pivotal game five. McIntyre slammed home a kill to give CMU the 15-11 win and its first title.